Electric Aggregation Program 


Following the passage of a March 2012 voter Referendum, the Village of Gurnee contracted to procure electric supply in a municipal electric aggregation program for residents and small businesses. Since 2012, this program has saved the average household $375 on their electric bill and Gurnee residents over $3.7 million combined. 

The Commonwealth Edison (ComEd) rate for electricity has increasingly become more competitive and now equals or is lower than most third-party rates. The Village has monitored the power supply market and recently was able to contract a program with MC Squared Energy Services, LLC (MC Squared) whereby residents and small businesses will pay exactly the ComEd rate and 100% Wind Green-e certified Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) will be purchased for the Village. This program will position the Village to be designated as an EPA Green Power Partner Community at zero increased cost to the residents. The program is for a 12-month term starting with meter read dates in July 2019 and ending at meter read dates in June 2020.

The cost of serving each electric account varies greatly, depending on usage patterns. Some ratepayer accounts will be served by ComEd supply service and others will continue with our current supplier, MC Squared and pay the exact same ComEd rate every month. MC Squared will purchase RECs for the Village based on the historical usage for accounts on MC Squared supply and ComEd supply.

As such, some ratepayers will receive notice that their account will remain with ComEd supply service. There is no need to opt out because their account will not be switched.

Other ratepayers will receive notice their service is continuing with MC Squared. Those ratepayers may choose to opt out by calling MC Squared at 1 (855) 564-8130 or returning the enclosed pre-paid postage card.

Residents in the Gurnee Green Electric Aggregation Program, whether receiving service from ComEd or from MC Squared will pay the same identical rate. Notices of the program will be mailed the week of May 20th. There is never an enrollment fee, an early termination fee, nor any added monthly fees.

All Gurnee residents that currently receive service through the following programs are eligible to Opt-Into the program, however please review your current contract terms and conditions before making this decision: • ComEd’s Hourly Rate • Alternative Retail Electric Supply Service • Net Metering Customers.

The program is anticipated to reduce carbon emissions. RECs purchased for the Village’s energy consumption will be sourced from wind power generators located in the Midwest and are Green-e certified. For more information about energy supply choices, visit the ICC site at pluginillinois.org. For questions about your electric account, call Gurnee’s aggregation program supplier, MC Squared, at 1 (855) 564-8130. If you require additional assistance, call NIMEC at (800) 727-3820 to leave your questions and callback number.

Please note MC Squared will not come to your door or call you regarding this program.  Any solicitor who comes to your door, or calls asking you to switch to a new supplier is not associated with the Village’s EcoGreen Aggregation Program, and not associated with MC Squared.  Should you receive such a call from a person purporting to represent the Village, MC Squared, or ComEd, please take the solicitor’s information and contact the Illinois Commerce Commission at their Consumer Services Division complaint line: 800-524-0795

Electric Aggregation FAQ

  1. How can I enroll?
  2. During the initial three-week opt out period, you need do nothing if you received a notice at your ComEd billing address; you will automatically be enrolled unless you opt out. After the initial opt out period, a ratepayer may enroll by calling MC Squared at 855-564-8130.

  3. What is an eligible resident or small commercial account?
  4. Any resident who is currently with ComEd and has not already switched to an Alternative Retail Electric Supplier (ARES) or who is not enrolled in a special Residential Real-Time Pricing (RRTP) program is eligible, and small commercial accounts are eligible. You must also have a residence or business located within the Village limits.

  5. What is a “small commercial account?”
  6. A small commercial account is a commercial account that consumes less than 15,000 kWh per year.

  7. How can Gurnee get lower rates than ComEd?
  8. The State of Illinois deregulated energy markets over 15 years ago. What is commonly referred to as the “ComEd rate” is actually a default rate, which is no longer established by ComEd, but by the Illinois Power Agency, which procures energy in the open markets.

  9. Will I receive two bills, one from ComEd and another from the new supplier?
  10. No. ComEd will continue to bill you for electric supply, delivery and taxes. ComEd delivers electricity, and will continue to bill you for that, but they no longer supply it. They will pass along the fees you pay for the supply of your energy to the new supplier.

  11. Whom do I call if I have service problems?
  12. Always call ComEd with reports of outages or downed power lines at 800-334-7661. For questions about your supply, you can call the customer service number for MC Squared. This will be listed under “Electric Supply Services” on your ComEd bill.

  13. If I am automatically enrolled in the program now, can I leave the program at any time?
  14. Yes, you can later leave the program and move your account back to ComEd or another Supplier. There is no early termination fee to leave.

  15. What is ComEd’s 6-month “hold” requirement?
  16. Please note State Regulations: If you move from the program back to ComEd for longer than two months, your account is placed in a “bundled hold” status, and you may not return to the Gurnee program until a full six months has passed.

  17. I am enrolled in a low-income assistance program. Will that be affected?
  18. No. If you currently receive assistance via PIPP or LIHEAP, that status will not change and you can continue to get these benefits for your ComEd bill.

  19. I’m on ComEd’s budget billing plan. Will that change?
  20. No, you can stay on the budget billing plan.

  21. Can I still have my payment automatically deduced from my checking account as I do now?
  22. Yes. The way you pay your ComEd bill will not change.

  23. Will someone come to my home or call to sign me up?
  24. No. You need do nothing to automatically be enrolled in the program. If someone calls or visits your home claiming to be the Village’s power supplier, please file a complaint with the ICC at http://www.icc.illinois.gov/consumer/complaint.

  25. Is my electric supply at greater risk now that deregulation has opened markets to many new suppliers?
  26. No. By law, ComEd remains the Provider of Last Resort (POLR), so if there is an issue with securing electric supply, ComEd will be required to deliver it, regardless.

  27. Does the energy supply renewable “green” energy sources?
  28. The selection of mc2 ensures that the power supply cost for participating residential and small business customers will not be greater than the ComEd basic service tariff rate, while providing the Village with 100% Wind Renewable Energy Certificates. 

    This program will also position the Village to be designated as an EPA Green Power Partner Community at no increased cost for the residents
  29. Will my electricity service be disrupted when I switch?
  30. No, there will be no disruption in service. You will continue to receive the same electric service through the same transmission and distribution system currently operated by ComEd. The switch to mc2 is seamless.

The Illinois Commerce Commission offers more information about energy deregulation in Illinois and energy supply choices at www.pluginillinois.org.

For questions about your electric account, do not call Village Hall; call Gurnee’s aggregation program supplier: MC Squared Energy Services, LLC at 855-564-8130, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

If you require additional assistance, call NIMEC at 800-856-3404 to leave your question and callback number. You will be contacted within 24 hours regarding the issue.

To report an electrical outage, or for questions pertaining to your ComEd bill, call ComEd at 800-334-7661.