GURNEE, IL – The Village of Gurnee is pleased to announce a new business assistance program that includes over $425,000 in assistance dedicated towards COVID-19 recovery for businesses. Included in the program is a liquor license fee waiver for qualifying business, a business license fee reduction and a small business capital investment grant.
The new initiatives, recently unanimously adopted by the Village Board, include:
- For all licensed permanent businesses, a 50% reduction in the 2022 Business License fee
- For small businesses (a brand with fewer than 20 locations) with narrow exceptions, within the categories of Retail, Restaurant/Event, or Entertainment:
- 100% waiver of 2022 on-premises liquor license fee
- $10,000 in matching grant funds for capital investment
Business License Fee 50% Reduction
Business License Fee renewal notices reflecting the 50% reduction for qualifying businesses will be sent in November for the 2022 calendar year renewal. No further action is required on the part of the business other than timely submittal of the required documentation and continued compliance with all requirements.
Liquor License Fee 100% Waiver
Liquor License renewal notices reflecting the 100% waiver for qualifying businesses licensed as of December 31, 2021, will be sent in February 2022 for a May 1 renewal. No further action is required on the part of the business other than timely submittal of the required documentation and continued compliance with all requirements.
Small Business Capital Grant – Applications Now Open!
The Village Board approved $250,000 to assist qualifying businesses with capital projects within the Village of Gurnee. The Small Business Capital Grant (SBCG) program authorizes each qualifying applicant to receive, on a reimbursement basis, up to $10,000 in 1:1 matching funds for capital projects. Projects completed as early as January 1, 2020, may be eligible, and the program will remain open as long as funds remain.
Eligible applicants include businesses of any size located within the Village of Gurnee corporate limits as long as the business meets all of the criteria eligibility below:
- Generates sales tax, food & beverage tax or amusement tax and is current with remittance of all such taxes payable to the Village
- Must have a Village of Gurnee business license (this program excludes home occupations and temporary businesses) and be properly licensed in all other respects
- Must be in good standing with the Village of Gurnee and compliant with all obligations
- Must not be associated (including as a franchisee) with a brand of 20 or more locations, with one exception: businesses associated with a national brand that has relocated within the Village of Gurnee during the eligible period, incurring eligible expenses in so doing
- Excludes grocery, pharmacy, fuel stations, packaged liquor, vape/smoke, body modification establishments, professional services, and hotel/motel
Capital projects are those which enhance or improve an asset; in this case, commercial real estate. Capital projects are typically defined as new construction, expansion, or renovation of a property. Eligible projects for the SBCG Program include, but are not limited to: roof replacements/repair, patio structure of a permanent nature, parking lot resurfacing, signage improvements, plumbing, electrical and HVAC improvements.