2022 Firefighter / Paramedic Eligibility List Testing
Click Here to Apply Note: Use Google Chrome browser to complete application.
The Gurnee Fire Department is currently building an eligibility list for the position of Firefighter / Paramedic. Immediate vacancies to be filled from the new list.
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements at the time of application and hire:
- United States citizen or naturalized citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years old and maximum age of 34 years (unless otherwise exempt under
65 ILCS 5/10-1-7.1).
- Graduation from high school or equivalent thereof.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Currently certified as a Basic Operations Fire Fighter (Fire Fighter II) under the State of Illinois, Division of Personnel Standards and Education; and
- Minimally a Provisional Paramedic in good standing in the State of Illinois pursuant to applicable statutes and regulations at the time of application or EMT-P. If a Provisional Paramedic at the time a conditional offer of employment is extended, must obtain State of Illinois EMT-P licensure prior to completion of the post-offer background investigation.
- Applicants must provide a Candidate Physical Ability Test [CPAT] certificate with Ladder Climb dated between August 1, 2020 and January 31, 2022. The cost of the CPAT is the responsibility of the applicant.
- Successfully pass the FireTeam examination offered through the National Testing Network.
Starting Salary: $73,727 annual base salary
Vacation, Kelly day time, paid sick leave and sick leave incentive program
Health / Dental / Vision / Life Insurance Plans
Retirement savings options (pension, 457, Roth IRA)
The Gurnee Fire Department offers full testing services for the position of Firefighter / Paramedic through National Testing Network, Inc. What to expect at the www.nationaltestingnetwork.com website:
- From the FIND JOBS tab, select ‘Firefighter Jobs’, then ‘Gurnee Fire Department’ and follow the directions. Review the information related to the Gurnee Fire Department Firefighter / Paramedic position, including minimum requirements, salary, and benefits.
- Completion of online application and submission of required documents by 3:00 p.m. February 2, 2022.
- Detailed information about the testing process for the entry level FireTEAM examination: Candidates may purchase a practice examination at www.fireteamtest.com. All costs are the responsibility of the candidate.
- Schedule your own convenient test time. Tests are offered multiple times a week, including Saturdays.Register on the NTN site www.nationaltestingnetwork.com, search Firefighter Jobs, select ‘Gurnee Fire Department’ and follow the directions. Examination must be completed by 11:00 a.m. February 2, 2022. The cost of taking the examination or transferring a prior examination score is the responsibility of the candidate.
Applicants successfully completing the application and testing process will be contacted regarding the oral interview with the Gurnee Civil Service Commission and Gurnee Fire Department Officers. Interviews are tentatively scheduled for early / mid-February 2022 and may be conducted via Zoom.
After oral interviews are completed, the initial eligibility register is established and eligibility to apply for preference points begins. Preference points - maximum of 10 points:
- Veterans’ Points / Military Service with an Honorable Discharge: five (5) points
- Education Points: up to five (5) points:
- Associates Degree (any curriculum): 2.5 points
- Bachelors Degree (any curriculum): an additional 2.5 points (5 points total)
After application of preference points, the final eligibility register is established and posted.
Eligibility list candidates receiving a conditional offer of employment must successfully pass a polygraph examination; character and background check; psychological examination; and medical examination, including vision and drug screen. All appointments are subject to a probationary period.
Completion of the FireTeam examination and / or Gurnee Firefighter / Paramedic Employment Application is not a guarantee of eligibility to continue in the testing process. Candidates may be disqualified after completion of the test or submission of application for reasons including but not limited to: failure to complete testing / application submission by required deadline; not meeting minimum position qualifications; not meeting minimum passing standards for the examination; missing or incomplete documents; or other disqualifying factors related to Firefighter / Paramedic candidacy or employment.